Knowing where to look and how to find an assisted living facility is hard.
It’s a big decision with a lot of factors to consider to get the best possible care for your loved one.
We want to help.
Understanding what exactly assisted living is, services these kinds of facilities offer, and what to look for when choosing an assisted living facility are crucial components to finding a place that’s right for you and your situation.
That’s why we’ve compiled resources to help you find an assisted living facility and other senior care resources near you. Check out these helpful tips and other resources and online databases to help you find affordable, high-quality assisted living communities in your state.
What is Assisted Living?
Assisted living facilities are on a spectrum between retirement homes and nursing homes; they aren’t full-on medical facilities but are able to assist in helping residents complete the basic daily task and other things like medication management and distribution. They also strive to foster communal life and provide activities for residents.
Assisted Living Facilities Checklist
There is a lot to consider when picking an assisted living facility.
Don’t be afraid to visit a facility multiple times when finding what assisted living home is best for you. Ask if the facility has a mission statement or an official statement of care and purpose. It helps to interact with the staff, talk to other residents, see the layout of individual and common rooms, and try the food for yourself.
Here are the main factors to consider:
This includes both physical and medical safety.
- Is the facility equipped to assist in the basic health needs of your loved one, like proper nutrition and medical management?
- Do they have staff and security available around the clock to be available to residents and help in the case of emergencies?
- Does the facility have a nurse or licensed medical professional on site at all times?
- Are their proper sidebars, railing, and ramps?
- Do the showers and bathrooms have grab bars and anti-slip mats?
Cleanliness and hygiene in senior care facilities are essential to optimize the health and well-being of residents and staff alike.
- Are services like laundry, housekeeping, room repairs, and food services provided?
- Does the facility provide cleaning service to residents’ rooms?
- How frequently is housekeeping offered?
- Are the common area regularly cleaned?
- Are hygiene products and assistance readily provided to residents?
Not only do we need to eat to live, eating well, especially in an assisted living facility, is important to optimizing health and properly caring for residents.
- When are meals provided? Is it just at a specific time or round the clock?
- Are there accommodations for allergies or special diets?
- What type of food is served?
- Are there custom food plan options?
- What are the dining room accommodations like?
- Are there options for food delivery or room services for sick residents?
The overall disposition of the staff at an assisted living facility and the manner in which they interact with residents and visitors is of crucial importance. Try to meet the staff or members of the team prior to choosing an assisted living facility for you or your loved one.
- When and how do staff interact with residents throughout the day?
- How many staff members are involved daily with each resident?
- Are staff members friendly?
- Is the staff providing the proper level of care in helping residents completing daily tasks?
- What is the staff-to-resident ratio?
- What kind of training does the staff receive?
- What do other residents think of the staff in their own experience?
A big part of assisted living facilities is the communal life and social activities provided.
- What kind of activities does the facility offer?
- Do they have a recreation room? TVs? Comfortable common areas?
- Are their opportunities for off-site field trips?
- Are their exercise classes and other clubs?
- Are spiritual services offered at the facility?
- Is transportation available if needed?
Reading online reviews and getting direct feedback from other residents and families can really help you get a better evaluation of an assisted living facility prior to making a decision.
- What rating does this facility have?
- What are other families and residents saying about their experiences, either online or in person?
- Are there any bad reviews? If so, why?
- Have any complaints ever been filed against the facility or a current member of staff?
Finding an Assisted Living Facilities Near You
SeniorAdvisor.com is already ranked as the Top Senior Care Provider for 2018, an annual award which factors in customer reviews and high ratings from families and residents of different senior care facilities who have benefited from this organization’s services. Their website is easy to use in searching for local facilities from assisted living homes to other resources such as retirement communities, nursing homes, and Alzheimer’s care facilities.
The National Center for Assisted Living
The National Center for Assisted Living is a great place to start when looking for assisted living facilities. Their website provides a wide range of helpful resources from finding facilities in your area with their State Website Guide to learning more about senior care expenses and other tips for choosing assisted living facilities.
Senior Living Directory
To search for the assisted living and other senior living options in your state, check out The Senior Living Directory which has compiled data on tens of thousands of senior living resources and complete contact and pricing details, images, and more information on thousands of facilities.
The Eldercare Locator website is also another great resource for finding assisted living facilities near you and other local area agencies on aging (AAA). This government agency has spent over a decade compiling their online database which includes resources from the State Agencies on Aging, the State Health Insurance Assistance Program, Area Agencies on Aging, and so many other wonderful organizations.
Hopefully, these tips and resources have helped provide you with the tools for how to find an assisted living facility that offers quality care and services for you or your loved one.
If you have any questions about the services Green Valley Commons, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will be happy to answer your questions and give you a tour of our residences.